This policy is intended to meet the requirements of Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07 under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005 and applies to the provision of goods and services to the public or other third parties, not to the goods themselves.
All goods and services provided by Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. shall follow the principles of dignity, independence, integration, and equal opportunity.
Assistive device – A technical aid, communication device, or other instrument that is used to maintain or improve the functional abilities of people with disabilities. Personal assistive devices are typically devices that customers bring with them, such as a wheelchair, walker, or a personal oxygen tank that might assist in hearing, seeing, communicating, moving, breathing, remembering, or reading.
Disability – The term disability as defined by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code, refers to:
- Any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation, or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect, or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device;
- A condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability;
- A learning disability or dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language;
- A mental disorder; or
- An injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act 1997.
Guide dog – A highly trained working dog that has been trained at one of the facilities listed in Ontario Regulation 58 under the Blind Persons’ Rights Act to provide mobility, safety, and increased independence for people who are blind.
Service animal – As reflected in Ontario Regulation 429/07, an animal is a service animal for a person with a disability if:
- It is readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons relating to their disability; or
- If the person provides a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability.
Service dog – As reflected in the Health Protection and Promotion Act, Ontario Regulation 562, a dog other than a guide dog for the blind is a service dog if:
- It is readily apparent to an average person that the dog functions as a service dog for a person with a medical disability; or
- The person who requires the dog can provide on request a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires a service dog.
Support person – As reflected in Ontario Regulation 429/07, a support person means, in relation to a person with a disability, another person who accompanies them in order to help with communication, mobility, personal care, medical needs, or access to goods and services.
In accordance with the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07, this policy addresses the following:
- The provision of goods and services to persons with disabilities;
- The use of assistive devices;
- The use of guide dogs, service animals, and service dogs;
- The use of support persons;
- Notice of service disruptions;
- Customer feedback;
- Training; and
- Notice of availability and format of required documents.
The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
Michael Jackson Motors Sales Inc. will make every reasonable effort to ensure that its policies, practices, and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration, and equal opportunity by:
- Ensuring that all customers receive the same value and quality;
- Allowing customers with disabilities to do things in their own ways and at their own pace when accessing goods and services, provided that this does not present a safety risk;
- Using alternative methods, when possible, to ensure that customers with disabilities have access to the same services in the same place and in a similar manner;
- Taking into account individual needs when providing goods and services; and
- Communicating in a manner that takes into account the customer’s disability.
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing goods or services provided by Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility might be an issue, other reasonable measures will be used to ensure the access of goods and services.
Guide Dogs, Service Animals, and Service Dogs
Policies prohibiting pets on the premises do not apply to guide dogs, service animals, or service dogs. A customer with a disability who is accompanied by guide dog, service animal, or service dog will be allowed access to premises that are open to the public unless otherwise excluded by law.
Recognizing a Guide Dog, Service Dog, or Service Animal
If it is not readily apparent that the animal is being used by the customer for reasons relating to their disability, Bean Chevrolet Buick GMC Ltd. may request verification from the customer. Verification may include a:
- Letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons related to the disability;
- Valid identification card signed by the Attorney General of Canada; or
- Certificate of training from a recognized guide dog or service animal training school.
Care and Control of the Animal
The customer who is accompanied by a guide dog, service dog, or service animal is responsible for maintaining care and control of the animal at all times.
If a health and safety concern presents itself—for example, in the form of a severe allergy to the animal— Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. will make all reasonable efforts to meet the needs of all individuals.
If a customer with a disability is accompanied by a support person, Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. will ensure that both persons are allowed to enter the premises together and that the customer is not prevented from having access to the support person.
In situations where confidential information might be discussed, consent will be obtained from the customer prior to any conversation where confidential information might be discussed.
Notice of Disruption in Service
Service disruptions may occur due to reasons that may or may not be within the control or knowledge of Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. In the event of any temporary disruptions to facilities or services that customers with disabilities rely on to access or use Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc.’s goods or services, reasonable efforts will be made to provide advance notice. In some circumstances, such as in the situation of unplanned temporary disruptions, advance notice may not be possible.
If a notification needs to be posted, the following information will be included unless it is not readily available or known:
- Goods or services that are disrupted or unavailable;
- Reason for the disruption;
- Anticipated duration; and
- A description of alternative services or options.
When disruptions occur, Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. will provide notice by:
- Posting notices in conspicuous places, including at the point of disruption, at the main entrance, and the nearest accessible entrance to the service disruption, or on the Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. website;
- Contacting customers with appointments;
- Verbally notifying customers when they are making a reservation or appointment; or
- By any other method that may be reasonable under the circumstances.
Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. shall provide customers with the opportunity to provide feedback on the service provided to customers with disabilities.
Customers can submit feedback to the General Manager via email@example.com. Customers who provide formal feedback will receive acknowledgement of their feedback, along with any resulting actions based on concerns or complaints that were submitted.
Training will be provided to:
- All employees who deal with the public or other third parties that act on behalf of Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc.; and
- Those who are involved in the development and approval of customer service policies, practices, and procedures.
As reflected in Ontario Regulation 429/07, regardless of the format, training will cover the following:
- A review of the purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005;
- A review of the requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07;
- Instructions on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities;
- Instructions on how to interact with people with disabilities who:
- Use assistive devices;
- Require the assistance of a guide dog, service dog, or other service animal; or
- Require the use of a support person (including the handling of admission fees);
- Instructions on how to use equipment or devices that are available at our premises or that we provide which may help people with disabilities;
- Instructions on what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing our services; and
- Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc.’s policies, procedures, and practices pertaining to providing accessible customer service to customers with disabilities.
Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. will provide training as soon as practicable. Training will be provided during orientation to new employees who deal with the public or act on our behalf. Revised training will be provided in the event of changes to legislation, procedures, or practices.
Record of Training
Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. will keep a record of training that includes the dates training was provided and the number of employees who attended the training.
Notice of Availability and Format of Documents
Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc. shall notify customers that the documents related to the Accessibility Standard for Customer Service are available upon request and in a format that takes into account the customer’s disability. Notification will be given by posting the information in a conspicuous place owned and operated by Michael Jackson Motor Sales Inc., the dealership’s website, or any other reasonable method.
Notification will include information about the feedback process.
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or its related procedures, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This policy and its related procedures will be reviewed as required in the event of legislative changes.